ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP
The mission of the Birding for Everyone Fellowship is to develop and empower the next generation of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) conservation leaders. We strive to develop and elevate conservation leaders of color to better serve their communities and our collective birding community. Secondarily, we aim to cultivate conservation leaders from other underrepresented communities: members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities, and people from marginalized socio-economic groups.
This Birding For Everyone Fellowship is intended to nurture diverse leadership within the Golden Gate Bird Alliance (GGBA) community by reducing financial and social barriers to participation in the GGBA’s adult education offerings.
Fellowship recipients receive the following:
- Free Adult education courses for one calendar year (GGBA OFFERS THREE SERIES OF CLASSES in the Fall, Winter, and Spring, plus a year-long Master Birder program in partnership with the California Academy of Sciences)
- Monthly gatherings and networking opportunities with other Fellows, BFE alumni, GGBA Board and leadership, and the broader birding and conservation community organized by the Fellowship Mentor
- Free one-year membership to Golden Gate Bird Alliance
- Priority access to more than 280 free GGBA field trips each year (not counting Birdathon and related fundraiser events)
SUPPORT THE FELLOWSHIP
This fellowship program is made possible by the support of generous donors and members who believe in equitable opportunities within the conservation and environmental field. If you have the means, please considering supporting this wonderful program.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
– Applicant is over the age of 18 and lives in Alameda, Contra Costa, or San Francisco County.
– Applicant identifies as a member of an under-represented community, including Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities, and people from marginalized socio-economic groups.
– Applicant has circumstances or life experiences that would enhance the diversity of the birding community.
Please consider applying to the Birding For Everyone Fellowship!
Applications are due on November 10, 2023. Final decisions will be made by early December and all applicants will be notified.
Questions? Please email GGBA Deputy Director Whitney Grover at firstname.lastname@example.org.